Home > Curricular > English & Literature
English & Literature
With the undeniable importance of the English Language in the 21st century, it is imperative for citizens of the world to be equipped with a high level of proficiency in the use and appreciation of Standard English. As such, in Admiralty Secondary School, we aim to prepare and provide our Admirals with a competitive edge in the employment of the language, both in terms of comprehension and construction of meaning, pivotal in ensuring their success in this ever progressing world.
Based on the latest 2020 MOE EL syllabus, the ADSS ELL Department focuses all strategies with the guiding principles of:
1) spiral progression in terms of learning from Secondary 1 to 5,
2) contextualisation of the learning of skills to real-world, authentic situations and issues;
3) learner-centeredness to ensure that students’ learning needs are met, and
4) integration of all skills so that learning is seamless.
Through these principles, we hope to achieve the following learner outcomes and values:
Key Strategies adopted by the EL Dept:
- Annotation of texts, a strategy with a unique ADSS framework, to enhance student understanding of the construction of meaning (semantics) through language devices and the manipulation of linguistic techniques.
- Teaching of thinking routines, such as logic flow, to aid student analyses of real-world issues and to allow students to exercise critical and creative thinking skills so that they become mindful of multiple and alternative perspectives in authentic situations.
- Teaching of presentation skills including the use of paralinguistic features to help students articulate their ideas and opinions accurately, clearly, confidently and effectively to address a particular purpose, audience, context and culture.
Programmes and Outcomes
1. Outing to the Theatre
An annual highlight for our Upper Secondary students who are taking Literature in English, Outing to the Theatre provides a chance for students to watch a play related to their curriculum. This gives them a chance to see what they are studying come alive!
2. National Schools Literature Festival
A yearly affair where students are thoroughly engaged through guest speeches, performances and concurrent competitions. With events such as book trails, poetry slam, book parades and book debates, Admirals get to showcase their talents and learn from their peers nation-wide.
3. Author’s Dialogue
A valuable opportunity for students to meet and interact with authors of their Literature O-Level Set Text. Through the rich sharing and discussion on the intent of writing, character analysis and stylistic features, students gain a more in-depth understanding of their texts.
4. Speech and Debate Enrichment Workshops
An annual programme that aims to explore interpersonal issues and public speaking skills through drama techniques and activities.
Dr Choe Kee Cheng
English and Literature Coordinator:
Ms Renuka Devi D/O Raghunathan
Mr Abdul Salem Bin Samat
Mr Achmad Nasrun Bin Abdul Kalam
Mr Arun Vasudev Krishnan
Mdm Wendy Chen Jin Jing
Mdm Chew Wei Xin
Mr Joshua Choo Chee Chong
Ms Diyanah Binte Mohamad Yunos
Ms Fazylah Binte Abd Rahman
Ms Koh Kia Li Charmaine
Mr Lai Kuok Liang
Mdm Lim Sok Hian Jacqueline
Ms Najla Banu Binte Feroz Akbar Abdullah
Ms Ong Hui Ping
Ms Dorothy Phua
Mdm Tiong Rui Shan
Mr Tung Cheng Boon Adrian